May C. Randazzo Scholarship
May Randazzo, APR, public relations manager at Graphic Controls, died after a brief illness in 1997. She was only 57. In her honor, the May C. Randazzo Memorial Scholarship was established. Currently, the chapter awards one scholarship per year valued at $2,000.
To be eligible for this scholarship, candidates are required to:
- Attend a college or university in the geographical area served by the PRSA Buffalo Niagara Chapter. Both undergraduate and graduate students are welcome to apply. Past applicants, including winners, are welcome to re-apply as long as they continue to meet the criteria.
- Have a declared major in the field of communications.
- Complete the online application form, including:
- Submit a well-written essay demonstrating academic motivation and financial need. Please be specific as to why you are requesting these funds, including any hardships you’ve had to overcome.
- Submit a letter of recommendation, detailing the candidate’s academic drive and/or interest in community service and/or extracurricular activities.
The online application will ask candidates to:
- Submit their transcripts, listing GPA.
- Define their household income.
- List their community service/volunteer work and the average amount of times or hours they volunteer per month.
- List academic/extracurricular activities.
Deadline: May 31, 2021
More about May’s Legacy
May made many lasting contributions to the profession, both locally and nationally. Her most enduring impressions can be found in the lives she touched – friends she advised, students she taught, and volunteers she trained. As a leader in the field of public relations, May deliberated on the future of the profession and took an active role in shaping it. She was named the chapter's 1991 Practitioner of the Year and was a past chapter president.
May had a special interest in students and emerging talents within the profession. She helped establish the PRSSA chapter at Canisius College, supervised countless internships, and served as a mentor to new and seasoned professionals alike.
The PRSA Buffalo Niagara Chapter, with the blessing of May's family, established the scholarship to honor college students who best demonstrate the ideals May so strongly believed were the keys to the future of our profession: leadership, community service, and scholastic achievement. It's one way to ensure May continues to influence the lives of future public relations professionals for generations to come.
The chapter formed a partnership with the PRSA Foundation to administer the scholarship and oversee the selection process. We will work closely with the foundation to ensure each scholarship is awarded in concert with May's ideas and examples.
May C. Randazzo Memorial Scholarship Committee Chairperson:
Emily L. Ciraolo
Director, Corporate Communications